Friday, November 16, 2018

Writing on Personal Topics

Maybe I should consider myself lucky,
because unlike so many,
I feel a sense of purpose,
I have had a dream,
a vision,
a passion,
a drive,
ever since I was young,
I always knew that someday I wanted to be a writer,
It must have disappointed my parents when they realized I'd grow up to become another version of a starving artist,
but it's what I wanted because writing always brought me peace,
for a long time, my journals were my only therapists,
I've written novel-length adventure tales and historical fiction,
tale with time travel and tyrannous governments,
I've dabbled in poetry and short stories and built up a following of a few loyal friends who never neglect to read my latest work,
but none of them are impressed by by attention to detail or my historical accuracy in describing the settings, 
instead what they ask me is: how come you never write anything personal?
I find the question to be ridiculous. 
Since when does art have to be personal to be good?
and then I realized why my parents discouraged my early attempts at writing,
because to succeed as a writer,
you need to be really good,
you need to expose your heart and soul in your writing,
and make yourself vulnerable
I thought, how can I write about anything personal when my life is so dull and boring?
nothing ever happens to me that would be of the slightest interest to readers,
because who would want to sit through another tiresome poem about a teenage heartbreak?
Or read about the crushing feeling of academic stress?
In what world could that possibly be more interesting,
than a story with aliens or dragons or magic schools?
perhaps the reason why personal art is good is because it is borne of pain, 
and the only pain I've ever felt wasn't even real,
it was all in my mind 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment