Friday, May 28, 2021

I am obsessed with drawing snek girls

Okay so in Hinduism there is a half-human half-serpent race called Naga which resides in the underworld. Here is what they are supposed to look like:



A female naga is called a nagin. A lot of terrible Bollywood horror movies have nagins in them, for some reason. My general opinion of Bollywood movies is that they suck (at least when it comes to the plot). The costumes, music and set design though? All that is awesome, especially in historical movies. 

Anyways, Bollywood horror movies suck. They're not even scary. They're more funny. I am a really easily scared person but I still don't find them scary. 

I haven't seen all the nagin horror movies out there, although I hope I can eventually get to all of them. The one I did watch was called "Hisss" and it was released in 2010. It's about an evil British guy who is trying to capture a nagin to force her to grant him immortality. He captures a male cobra to try luring her in, or something like that. I don't remember all the details. 

This is objectively a horrible movie. It has a 2.9/10 on IMDb and a 16% on Rotten Tomatoes. But I still loved it because of the snek girl. 


Anyways, so I'm NOT a good artist. At all. But I do enjoy drawing. I really liked drawing mermaids but eventually I moved on to drawing nagins. It's kinda the same idea, isn't it? You draw the upper body of a woman and then you give her a fish tail if it's a mermaid or a snek tail if it's a nagin. I make nagins look Indian and mermaids look European, usually. 

I want this post to be dedicated to my nagin art but I'll link some of my mermaid drawings on DeviantArt if you're interested. Please do follow my DeviantArt if you use it! Just go to aztecatl13.deviantart.com

And here are links to my mermaid drawings: 
  • Mermaid (European) 
  • Sedna (Inuit) 
  • Candy corn mermaid (a fictional race that has tricoloured hair that's white, orange and yellow like candy corn) 
Anyways it's time to talk about my nagin art. 


My very first attempt at a nagin, back in 2017:


So at that time I struggled with proportions a lot. However, I do like the eyes and hair here. I think I like how her face is cute but the rest of her looks scary. She has a really menacing curved sword dripping with blood. She also has a snake around her neck that she's wearing like a scarf. I think that was a nice detail, but the colouring was not done well enough for the snek scarf to stand out. 

My second attempt at a nagin in 2019 (basically a redraw of the first one)


Alright, the colouring on here is much better and the proportions are better. Maybe not perfect, but I think it's a big improvement from the first one. I like doing this sort of thing a lot as a self-taught artist where I just go back and try redrawing something I made a few years ago. If you want to see more examples of me doing this sort of thing, check out this drawing on DeviantArt and this one as well

Anyways, I do like how this nagin's figure looks and the hair as well, although I think I could have done a better lighting effect on the hair to make it shine more. 

Digital nagin (2020) 

In 2020, I came back to this drawing and made a digital version of it with the Ibis Paint X app. Now, I'm horrible at digital art. But keep in mind I was only using a tiny phone screen and my finger to draw, so I guess this is decent. I don't have a stylus or drawing tablet. 


Yet another digital nagin 


The purple-tailed nagin with the ponytail seem to be a different character. Maybe like a sister of the green-tailed nagin. I don't have a paper version of her (except for an uncoloured line drawing), just this digital drawing which I made in the same way as the previous one. 

My most recent nagin drawing (2021) 



This is my most recent nagin drawing. I brought the green-tailed nagin back. This time she has a flower, not a weapon, and she's resting by a body of water. I went all off with the Prismacolor coloured pencils here and did a lot of shading. I'm really pleased with how this turned out. I watched a bunch of really long Vaush videos while colouring this lmao (I don't like or dislike Vaush. He's a really mediocre political youtuber in my opinion but his videos are just easy to listen to while doing other stuff). 

I will definitely continue drawing nagins and posting about them, since I'm kinda obsessed with them. I'm thinking about having three different nagin characters (you've already seen the green-tailed and purple-tailed one) but I'm thinking about also having a red-tailed one and then giving them all signature weapons and different hairstyles. They could be sisters. Then perhaps I could write a story about them, idk. I should refer to the original mythology behind Naga creatures to figure out how that should go. 

Anyways, I hope you liked this post. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment