Thursday, June 20, 2024

I went to Tulsa, Oklahoma for like 4 days lol

 What's up fam? Yer girl is back from an academic conference at the University of Tulsa. Even though I didn't get to stay in Oklahoma for long, I really enjoyed my time there. People in Tulsa have a community spirit that I haven't seen before. They love talking to random people who they don't know, and they're really passionate about arts and culture. In contrast, Canadians are as cold as their weather. Also, there are beautiful flowers everywhere in Oklahoma and they smell really nice. My favourite is the blanketflower. It's gorgeous. There are a lot of flowers in a park called the Gathering Place, which also koi ponds. And you can see the Arkansas River over there. I saw Black wallstreet and the Philbrook museum (it has nice Native American art). I also went hiking at Turkey Mountain. There are some cool Native-owned art stores where I bought beaded earrings and a bison plushie. Also, Oklahoma has really good Mexican restaurants. Way better than the ones in Canada. I also went to a historical reenactment festival called Chatauquah. Also I was reading "Killers of the Flower Moon" on the plane, which is about the Osage murders. But there was also a part that talked about the Land Rush of 1889. And when I got to Tulsa I saw a monument depicting it. And now I know what a "sooner" is. Bonkers stuff. My Canadian friend was like "have fun in God's country." Bro I was in the Wild West. But it was amazing. Anyway, my life updates are that I have decided I am going to read more about African American history (probably starting with that book on the Tulsa race massacre that got banned in Oklahoma public schools). And I have decided that French is stupid and I am going to learn Spanish instead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment