Friday, April 19, 2024

I am going to be a film bro at least for one post

 You read that right. After hating on filmbros as a bookgirl for many years, I actually realized that films aren't that bad. In fact, I've seen more films this year than I ever have before. I think. I'm actually not going to make much of a distinction between movies and films right now as I recommend some stuff to y'all lol. 

Also in case anyone is wondering about my all-time favourite, it's definitely The Emperor's New Groove. You can say that's a movie not a film but actually I think it's super deep! And it's also the funniest movie I've ever seen. I mean the protagonist literally turns into a llama. But if you want a more film bro answer, I also like the Hindi film shatranj ki khilari (also known as The Chessplayers in English). That one is sad because it is about how the British take over the kingdom of Awadh. 

Anyway, yer girl's recommendations of course include Killers of the Flower Moon (but everyone is obsessed with that, so I am not very original for being obsessed with it). I watched it in a Discord server where people talk about Indigenous cultures. It was a fun group to watch it in.

The Princess Bride is also one of the greatest movies of all time!! It has adventure, romance, scary stuff (the rat lmao) and a revenge subplot with one of the characters. I love revenge!!~!`!!1!!!!!!

If you like horror (I don't, I hate it) I recommend Barbarian because it's the scariest thing I've ever seen and I didnt sleep for three nights after and my homies know it basically traumatized me. 

I also have some obscure picks that are great:

- The Journals of Knud Rasmussen, about the conversion of the last Inuit shaman. This was produced by Nunavut-based Igloolik Isumaa productions. 

-Touki Bouki, a Senegalese film about rejecting the French colonial mindset!!

-Ikwe. This film is in Ojibway and I kinda want to watch it again now that I know some Ojibway to see if I can understand stuff. It's a historical film about the fur trade and it's quite sad. 

Other random films I have seen this year: Encanto (based), The New World (very historically inaccurate lol), Barbie and the Nutcracker, Paprika, Qaggaq, One Day in the Life of Noah Piugattuk, Kung Fu Panda 4, It's true, it's true, it's true: Artemesia on trial, Student of the Year (a Bollywood movie). 

Shows I have seen this year: Pokemon Concierge, because it was cute and helped me get over the horror of Barbarian

Alright, it's really not often you get to see me being a film bro so this is a rare moment for me. Perhaps if you are a film bro, you will find something enjoyable to watch from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment