Monday, December 19, 2022

Something I find really interesting about "The Tempest"

I'm writing a random short post about a recent thought I had while re-reading The Tempest, which is probably my second favourite Shakespeare play. Hamlet is the best. Anyways, y'all know about how nature is often personified as female in nature poetry? "Mother earth" and other such concepts, right? Nature is often contrasted with civilization. The two are seen as opposites. And some would say that male is the opposite of female. So there is a dichotomy of women/nature and men/civilization. 

The most interesting moment in the play for me is when Miranda and Caliban interact and when Miranda tells Caliban to be grateful to her because of how she taught him her language. The reason why I find this interesting is because Miranda is associating herself with civilization, while Caliban is associated with nature. This is reversing the traditional gender binaries associated with nature/civilization. 

Reversing these binaries seems to be a beneficial tool for colonialism. I remember studying the captivity narrative of Mary Rowlandson, a white Puritan woman who was kidnapped by the Narragansetts. This narrative was used to justify New England's xenophobic attitudes towards the Natives. Instead of a masculine concept of civilization penetrating the womb of mother nature, there's this idea of a feminine concept of civilization taming the wild and barbaric nature. 

Let me know if y'all have thoughts on this nature/culture symbolism. I would be very curious to know what you have to say. And I'm really glad I have this blog to talk about stuff I'm reading in an informal way, without the pressure of having to write a whole literary essay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment