Friday, July 28, 2023

Random deep conversations I had with my Mexican internet friends

 I only have like two friends in real life but I have a bunch of internet friends and most of them are Mexican. I wanted to tell y'all about some random conversations I had with them that really stuck with me for some reason. 

I. Hyperromantic Cultures 

One of my Mexican friends is like 60 years old or something like that and teaches Danza Azteca and is fluent in Nahuatl. He tends to have interesting and unconventional views on love. Anyway, he told me that he thinks something that Indian and Mexican culture have in common is that they are "hyperromantic." I was telling him about how romantic and passionate Hindi love songs are. The lyrics go to extreme heights of emotion that I have never heard expressed in English lyrics before. My 60 year old maize-eating fren was telling me that Mexican love songs also tend to capture the feeling of obsessive, passionate, chaotic love. Not only do Mexicans and Indians relate to the struggle of misestimating how much flat bread they need to finish their food with, they would also both kill and die for love. My fren said that youth from "hyperromantic cultures" are more likely to have unhealthy and unrealistic ideas of love. There is probably some truth in what he is saying, though I believe I am not just bonkers because of my culture but also because I am just like this. If an Indian and Mexican person fell in love with each other, they would end up having a legendary epic poem written about their love or something. 

II. Purpose

 One of my other Mexican friends is like 30, and he is a high school history teacher. One day he straight up asked me "what is your purpose in life?" This is why I like talking to internet people, because irl people never randomly ask me stuff like this. They are just NPCs who say stuff like "How's it going?" or "Nice weather we're having today, eh?" and other cringe stuff. Anyway, I told him I believe my purpose in life is to learn everything I can about the cultures I like and have a huge creative output (including stories and drawings). He told me that purpose comes from groups and that I should think about what my role in the community is. He said his purpose was educating others. That's a purpose he got from being part of a community. As a teacher, he has to stick to a curriculum but he is also allowed to include other stuff as long as he covers all the requirements. So he tries to bring in more stuff about Latinos, Native Americans and Black people in what he teaches. I told him I do not want purpose or meaning that is derived from other people. This is because I do not really want to be part of society. I want to be a recluse. The only people I truly care about helping are family members. 

I think he thought I sounded really bitter and resentful, and to be honest I kind of am. I wasn't always like this. I used to be naive and overtrusting and see the good in everyone. I am literally a cliche because I am the character who goes from being overtrusting to getting hurt really badly and then never trusting anyone again. It's honestly really sad if you think about it, but I don't really know what to do about it. 

Anyway those were just some random thoughts. Perhaps there is some truth in what these wise Mexican frens told me, but to be honest if there is then I am too stubborn to accept it. I will continue believing that Bollywood has perfectly normal and realistic portrayals of love and that I would rather be a recluse than talk to people irl because everyone will hurt me and is evil and is out to get me. 

Goodnight now, frens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment