Sunday, March 17, 2024

Mexihkateokwikameh

Mexihkateokwikameh is an album by a Mexican folk music group called Tzotzollin, which does prehispanic music. It is my favourite album of all time. In fact, I have been listening to it for over a decade. I do not think a better album has ever been produced, nor do I think there is a more beautiful culture in the whole world! The title means "sacred songs of the Aztecs." It uses a slightly different Nahuatl spelling system than what I am used to.

Mexica = the name the Aztecs called themselves
Teotl = this word can mean either "god" or "sacred"
Cuicatl= song

I must say that I am not an expert in Nahuatl, the most beautiful language ever. But every word I do know is amazing.

Teocuitlatl = gold. Literally "excrement of the gods"

Xochimiqui = a human sacrifice. Literally "flowery death" from xochitl (flower) and miquiztli (death).

I love it so much! I love these maize-eating people!

Also I usually don't listen to albums. I listen to individual songs. I don't care for artists or albums because I don't think all of their songs are ever good, just some of them. But the exception is Tzotzollin. EVERY SONG BY THEM IS GOOD. And both of their albums are good, but Mexihkateokwikameh is the absolute greatest!!!!!! Mexica tiahui!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment