Saturday, December 30, 2023

2024 is gonna be my Renaissance year

 In 2024 I'm going to become a Renaissance polymath. I made a bajillion new year's resolutions, but I'm actually going to do them all!!! Just u wait and see. It's going to be the worst year ever for my enemies. I won't bore you guys by posting the entire list, but I'll go over some of the main ones.

Scholarly Goals

I'm going to read 69 books and make sure the majority of them are either canonical works of literature or academic monographs. I'm also going to apply to more PhD programs outside of C*nada, since I don't want to stay here.

Language Learning 

I wanna be as good at Ojibway/Anishinaabemowin as someone who took two semesters of it in university. I want to learn some very basic vocabulary in Nahuatl and Spanish (I attempted to learn both of these languages before so it will mostly be re-learning) and I also want to improve significantly in French and Hindi so I can read books in both languages without having to look up words. When it comes to Urdu, I want to be able to read/write very basic words, and at least learn the script. Learning all the basic vocabulary is probably doable with Anki, which I am finding to be a very effective language-learning tool at least for covering the basics. For the languages I am more advanced in, like French and Hindi, I will benefit more from immersing myself in media in that language rather than using language-learning tools. 

Some based linguist made a helpful Anki deck for Ojibway, but I also made my own deck. Here is a trad sentence that I like: 


I kinda want to learn the syllabic writing system too, even though most people just use the Roman alphabet now. 

Artsy Stuff

I want to learn knitting, crocheting and embroidery. I want to re-learn to play the flute and bansuri. I am also going to begin the preliminary research for a historical novel that I want to write. I also want to learn how to do photorealistic art in coloured pencils. Right now, I'm taking a course that helps with this. Here are some attempts I made so far. I have no doubt that I will improve soon, and then people will say that I have God-given artistic talent. 




Since I also write poetry, I was wondering if I should make coming up with a poetry collection a goal as well. But I'm not sure about this. Maybe just a tiny collection for myself rather than to show other people?

Health

Honestly, this is probably my least favourite category of goals. But it is absolutely necessary because unfortunately I have a body and I am not just some spooky formless entity like I wish to be. So I'm going to get into hiking, learn to cook 10 new healthy dishes, get into yoga, start running regularly, start lifting weights, eat more protein and start learning martial arts. Somehow. Idk. I'll try. I have prediabetes so if I don't fix my health I'm going to d!e. And then I won't be able to accomplish everything else on the list because I will be dead lmao.

Appearance

I also hate this category of goals. But unfortunately, I'm not a formless entity which means people perceive me and I have to present myself in a way that makes people take me seriously and respect me. I hate society, but I have to do this stuff: learn how to do makeup, wear more skirts and dresses so I look more trad and respectable, grow my hair and nails longer, etc. 

Mental Health Stuff 

I know social isolation is not mentally healthy long-term however I'm going to be doing it for one year because I think it can be helpful in the short term. I'll still talk to my family and to the very small list of people who I actually trust. But outside of that, I'm not really going to bother making friends in 2024. and definitely NOT bother with dating because that shit is extremely cringe. If I'm focusing on my goals, there will be very little craving for social interaction. Maybe if my mental health significantly improves, I could work on socialization in 2025. 

Work/Volunteering 

I need to figure out some kind of side hustle other than tutoring or I need to scale up my tutoring. I could probably take on more clients, idk. We'll see. Also, even though it's hard to find a job, it also appears really hard to find volunteer positions. Like bruh no one even wants me to work for them for free lmao. But right now, I'm going through the training process for becoming a writing competition shortlister so it's going to be fun if that goes through and I can judge people's writing contest submissions. I think this will provide enough fulfillment when it comes to volunteering for now. But it's a remote activity, and I would have preferred real-life volunteering. But irl stuff that matches my skillset is hard to find. 

Other random goals

I need to avoid facebook and twitter because they are cringe. I like posting updates about my goals on Instagram though, especially since so many of my goals are artsy. I want to replace watching stupid self-help videos or political videos with just watching educational stuff. I like the YouTube channels Ancient Americas and Aztlan Historian, so I'll just watch those instead of cringe stuff. I also like podcasts like American History Hit and Bangii'eta Anishinaabemodaa (lets speak a little bit of Anishinaabemowin) so those are also examples of wholesome entertainment I can replace my cringe entertainment with in my downtime. 

Also, I think I will learn to code lmao. 

That's all I guess. Wish me luck cause imma need it. 

Happy New Year fam!!! You guys should make lots of ambitious new years resolutions too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment